Coworth Flexlands was formed from the merger of two independent preparatory schools Coworth Park School and Flexlands School in 2004.
Despite being a relatively new school the ethos and history of the two merged schools have carried through and the current community feeling in the school owes much to both schools.
Coworth Park School was originally established in 1962 by the Sisters of the Resurrection under the Catholic Diocese of Portsmouth. The school flourished and quickly gained a reputation for its ability to provide high quality teaching and being able to develop and encourage children of all abilities to reach their full potential. These early attributes are still very much an integral part of the school’s ethos today; children are actively encouraged and supported to seek out new opportunities and develop existing interests within the learning environment.
After running the school successfully for 9 years and quickly establishing it as a preferred school for local families, the viability of the nuns continuing to run the school came into question and a group of dedicated parents took over the governance of the school in 1971. The school still works closely with existing and former parents and their contribution continues to be a major benefit to the development and improvement of the school and its facilities.
The school has been situated in several different sites in the local area before finally moving to its current location in Valley End in September 1993. The Valley End building was originally a private house and the owner of the property continued to visit the school right until her death. Her three favourite dogs are buried in the grounds with their own tombstones! Through extensive fundraising and hard work the house was converted into a school and has continually been developed and modified to its current state over the years. It continues to retain the feel of a small family oriented school and the children benefit hugely from the acres of land surrounding it.
In 2004 the school merged with Flexlands School Chobham at the current site and became known as Coworth Flexlands. The community spirit and dedication of staff and parents to the school shone through during the move from the former site on the A30 to the new site in Valley End.
Flexlands was another independent girls school in the local area which was taken over by two sisters Ann & Katherine Mais in 1935. In 1940 the school moved from its location of Yonder Cottage, Chobham to Flexlands, Station Road Chobham, where it remained until its move to the Coworth Site in 2004.
The school originally associated itself with the Parents’ National Educational Union, established by Charlotte Mason, before joining the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools.
When looking at the history of Coworth Flexlands, a common reoccurring theme is the caring and nurturing environment provided for the pupils by the teaching staff.